Choosing the Ideal Gaming Headphones
Selecting the perfect gaming headphones can significantly enhance your gaming experience. With a plethora of options available, identifying the best value can be challenging. This guide covers essential factors and tips to help you make an informed decision.
Above all, sound quality is paramount when it comes to gaming headphones. Seek headphones with a broad frequency response (20Hz to 20KHz) and a speaker sensitivity rating of approximately 96db +/- 3db. This will guarantee that you capture every audio detail in your games.
Steer clear of headphones boasting "5.1/7.1 immersive surround audio." Often, these devices utilize 2.1 drivers combined with software to manipulate the sound, potentially causing distorted or muffled audio. Instead, prioritize headphones specifically designed and constructed to deliver superior sound without relying on gimmicky features.
Comfort is Key!
When shopping for gaming headphones, comfort should not be overlooked. Opt for lightweight headphones with padded ear cups to minimize fatigue during extended gaming sessions. Trying on various headphones before making a purchase is also advisable to guarantee a comfortable fit for your head and ears.
If you're on a budget, the stock pads (typically made of PU leather) may suffice. However, if you want your headphones to last longer and provide enhanced comfort and sound quality, consider upgrading to genuine leather pads, such as cow leather. Brands like Yaxi and ZMF offer reliable alternatives. Although these premium options may seem costly upfront, they outlast cheaper alternatives, ultimately proving to be a wise investment over time.
The microphone is another crucial aspect to consider. If you plan on engaging in online multiplayer gaming or streaming, a high-quality microphone is a must. Opt for headphones featuring a built-in microphone or, at the very least, a detachable one.
Avoid overspending on luxurious gaming headphones. Although it may be tempting to invest in high-end models, they may not always deliver the best value for your money. Instead, consider musician/producer headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT990. We offer a detachable cable modification service for easy V-Moda BoomPro compatibility.
Alternatively, you can attach a side-mounted microphone like the AntLion Audio ModMic. This option strikes the perfect balance between budget and an unparalleled gaming experience.
Selecting the ideal pair of gaming headphones can significantly improve your gaming experience. When making your choice, prioritize sound quality, comfort, and microphone quality.
Conduct thorough research to find headphones that meet your needs and budget. The right pair will elevate your gaming immersion and enjoyment.
To simplify your search, we've compiled a list of our top recommendations (in no particular order):
With mic built-in:
- HyperX Cloud II: Very well built, audio quality is pretty decent, and very affordable.
- SteelSeries Arctis 5: Extremely comfortable, decent audio quality, very good mic and the SteelSeries support is superb should anything happen.
- Logitech G432: Comfortable fit, good mic, and very affordable.
Without mic built-in (Need an attachment mic or a dedicated mic):
- Philips Fidelio X2HR: Excellent audio performance, super comfy.
- Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990: Very popular choice, for a reason. They’re extremely comfy, the audio detail is simply excellent, and built like a tank. Very easy to find replacements too.
- Audio Technica m40x/m50x: Another popular choice. They take a bit of use to become comfortable to wear, but if you upgrade the pads to a leather ones, they’re a top choice.
- Sennheiser HD560: Sennheiser build quality, excellent audio performance, super comfortable to wear, and is cheap.